Historic site



Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Historic site

Equivalent terms

Historic site

Associated terms

Historic site

13 Archival description results for Historic site

13 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Belfry Family

Contains photographs and information on the Belfry family and cemetery, located between Lowes Gate and Noble Drive on Line 8.

Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library

Communities - Other

Contains news clippings and articles on Alliston, Beeton, Elgin County, Tottenham, and Tecumseth Township

Joe Saint

Construction Workers Unearthing Simcoe County's Past

"Construction crews working on Holland Street West uncovered a bit of history last week. According to several workers at the road reconstruction site, several large timber-like beams were unearthed from about six feet below the present surface of the road. It is likely that the beams date from the 1800s, and were either part of, or laid just after the demolition of, the first covered road in the county...."

Bradford Weekly

Drury and Thomas Streets Parking Lot

Although currently being used as a parking lot, there was originally at least one house on this property located at the corner of Drury and Thomas Streets. George, Mell (Mel?), and Davey John had a one-storey, frame stucco house here. Margaret "Maggie" MacDonald was the housekeeper and cook for the family. George was a handyman. He worked for Jack Spencer and Ben Collings fleshing and marsh haying. Mell (Mel?) was a day worker, gardener, handyman, and wood cutter. Davey John was a machinist and bearing lead (?) specialist. He was also a noted storyteller. Behind the house was a woodshed, back porch, chicken run, and chicken house. There was a garden next to the fence of the Queen’s Hotel. There were sheds from the hotel along the west side of the property. Pigs were fed with slops from the hotel. There was a two-storey barn with a loft, horse stables, and car garage facing Elizabeth Street. The house later became the home of Frank Cook, son Norman, and mother (Olive Whiteside). He was a labourer, small truck driver (picking up garbage), and a gravel (grave?) digger. Len and Aida Gardner and family moved into the house years later. They then moved into an apartment when the house was demolished. (1, 2)

George Jackson

The history behind the Pine River Valley

"The Pine River, as it flows through Dufferin and Simcoe Counties on its way to the Nottawasaga River and Georgian Bay, has an illustrious history dating to the 1820's. With in Mulmur Township in the County of Dufferin, on the Niagra Escarpment, the Ministry of Natural Resources acquired 190 acres of the Pine River Valley in 1971. Parts of this property were first acquired from the Crown in 1836, 1839 and 1874. Most of the land remained dormant during the years when the surrounding townships were settled. Only a portion of the area was cleared in the 1800's. The rest of the property remained carpeted with virgin timber until the Dufferin Light and Power Company began clearing the area while constructing the power dam..."

Nancy Horney

Results 1 to 10 of 13